How Many Calories are Needed to Eat to Lose Weight?
As most of us know, losing weight is all about the calories we consume per day and the calories that are burned. The more calories an individual consumes, he or she should burn more to avoid weight gain. Here are some recommendations of calories needed to lose weight:
Healthy eating habits to lose weight
- Consume four or five meals a day in smaller quantities as against having three heavy meals.
- After breakfast, water can be made as the primary drink.
- The size of dinner plates can be reduced. Experts say that when a person has more foods in his plate, he will consume more, regardless of whether he feels full or not. So, reducing the size of dinner plates to hold lesser eatables can be the best idea.
- The habit of mindless noshing can be avoided, when concentrating wholly on eating during breakfast, lunch and dinner. When a person consumes in front of television, he will eat more without any consciousness.
- Raw foods can be included in every meal.
When the above-mentioned healthy eating habits are followed, it will be possible to keep a check on the increasing Body Mass Index.
As mentioned earlier, the more calories a person consumes, it will become necessary to burn more, particularly, when he or she is looking to lose those excess pounds. So, how many calories are needed to eat to lose weight per day? Let us find:
This number will differ from one individual to another. It is relatively easier to calculate the number of calories needed to lose weight. The most widely used equation for calculating this number is the Harris-Benedict equation. Here is the equation:
Basal Metabolic Rate = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years).
The answer to this equation is the calories needed to lose weight per day. For instance, when we take the case of a woman of 50 years with a weight of 160 lbs and height of 5'7", the Basal Metabolic Rate of the women as per the above-mentioned formula is 1441. The woman can consume 1441 calories per day.
Per day needs for women to lose weight
When talking about women between the age group of 19-30 with sedentary lifestyle can consume 1300-1500 calories, while those with moderately active lifestyle should consume 1500-1700 calories and for those with active lifestyle, they can consume 1900 calories per day for losing weight. When it comes to women in the age group of 31-50, it should be 1300, 1500 and 1700 respectively for different lifestyles mentioned. On the other hand, for women of more than 51 years of age, it should be 1100, 1300 and 1500-1700 respectively.
Per day needed for men to lose weight
Men generally need 600 more calories per day as compared to women and so men falling under the different age groups and following different lifestyles as mentioned earlier can add 600 calories to the above-mentioned requirement for weight loss given for women.
So, one may calculate the above mentioned equation and find out the answer to his or her never ending question of how many calories are needed to eat to lose weight. Other than that healthy lifestyle and exercise should be followed for ensuring the best and healthy weight loss.